Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Daily Graphic

What a day! We just got back from Tema and Accra and are getting ready to work on lesson plans for the rest of the evening. I'm really surprised at how tiring going anywhere here is. Because the closest place to shop for anything is about 45 minutes away, they have to think of what they need a week in advance....this means we make quite a few stops when we go out.

We stopped at the Tema market and Madame Susie (that's what they call her here) had me go buy the vegetables myself. I was a little nervous, but it turned out to be OK. I went to the stand and the ladies must have recognized me from the other times I've been there with Madame because they all said, "ohhh how is mama doing?" I dealt with Effie, the lady who is "in charge" or, more appropriately, the one who is the bossiest. I asked for a bunch of carrots, meaning a grouping of carrots. They must not be familiar with that saying because they all started laughing and kept saying "bunch! bunch! bunch!" I guess it was a funny sounding word, haha.

The last time we were at the market, we bought little muffin cakes to eat. I was really hungry for one this time, so I went to a little bakery (a one room "store" that was about the size of a walk in closet) and bought one. I have to admit, it felt pretty cool to buy vegetables and a muffin cake all by myself! I know that probably sounds crazy, but being in a completely different culture is kind of alienating, so it felt nice to actually know what I was doing for a change without relying on the Brennans to help me out. Hope that makes sense.

I wish I spoke more of the language here, or at least understood it - it's so difficult to learn, I've heard the same phrase 5 different ways. It just depends on who is teaching you and where they are from! The other day, I walked outside to take some pictures. E-Man, one of the workers, saw me and said something in his language to Alfred, the other worker. Alfred couldn't see me from where he was working, but I heard his voice and he was asking me, "And how are you today?" So, E-Man had obviously said something to him to let him I know I was there. It was probably something like, "Oh great - there she is again with her camera!" But I guess I'll never know. I can say thank you, welcome, I'm sorry, how are you, I'm good...but i haven't been able to pick them up when someone says them to me. I guess it's the same for them when I talk super fast - they have no idea what I'm saying, even though they may know a few phrases in English.
Alfred working

As I mentioned in a previous post, the Harmattan is here. It actually feels cool in the mornings. It's so funny, though - I've seen some of the workers in coats! Last night, Willie came for his gate man shift at 11pm and he was wearing a winter coat! I didn't get to see it, but next time he wears it, I'm going to try to get a picture. To us Americans, it's still grossly hot...but to them, it's cold!

For all journalism students, if you have a taste for sensational journalism you should think about getting a job here! The headlines on their newspapers are so awful! They write in such graphic detail about things like death and they show graphic photos, too. My parents, who have both been here, told me to make sure I took a look at a newspaper to understand how they share the news. Today, the headline was "Body Parts for Sale." Three people were arrested for selling human body parts....I didn't read the rest. I decided to try to find a more positive article, so I went to the next story. To avoid being just like the Daily Graphic, I'll refrain from sharing the details of it, but it definitely wasn't positive. I finally gave up!

My hair is getting pretty long and it's driving me crazy, so Madame Susie is going to attempt at cutting it. If we actually go through with it, I'll let you know how it turns out...or not!

More students are calling and visiting with interest in the new curriculum, so that's really exciting! We are praying and believing that God will bring the right students. I'm so thankful to be part of this time here, sometimes I still can't believe how fast everything fell into place.
My wonderful "guardians" while I'm here!  Mr. Ambrose and Madame Susie!

Well, the sun has set (it's down every night by 6 pm, no exceptions!) so I'm going to start working on lesson plans. I'm thinking of all my family and friends back home, I miss you all!
On its way down