Thursday, December 8, 2011

Harmattan, the Tema Market, and NO SNOW!

Today is a beautiful day!  Actually, every day here is beautiful...it feels so nice to have the sun shining so brightly and to know that there is no cold weather coming!  Normally, I can see the ocean clearly from where I'm staying.  But that changes when the Harmattan (pronounced haw-ma-tawn) comes to town.  It usually begins in December and is a dry, dusty wind that blows from the Sahara.  Already I've noticed that the ocean is hard to see because the sky is covered in a thick cloud...another way I know it's here is that by mid afternoon I'm ready to scratch my eyes out of my head!  Apparently the dust settles in your throat, too...I guess that's why I woke up this morning with hardly a voice.


Every morning at 7:15 (save Sundays), we have devotions outside with the workers.  We sing a few songs and then read from the same small bible each worker was given.  It's been  an adjustment for me...I prefer to ease into my mornings with a cup of coffee, and usually sometime AFTER 8 am!  But I'm learning here that first, it's good to give thanks to God in the morning before doing anything else or rushing into the day (which I sometimes do without even stopping to thank God for the day).  Second, many people here start work very early because by midday, it's extremely hot so to them, 7:15 isn't that early.  And third, it's amazing how many things I can get done before 9:30 in the morning!


I've been to the Tema Market twice.  This market is built in what would be considered a courtyard type of area and is surrounded by larger buildings.  Once you enter the market, you're basically a mouse in a maze.  So many ins and outs - when you come around a corner, you swear you've been there before but then you realize you haven't!  Underneath these slipshod awnings and structures you will find EVERYTHING - from hair salons to fish drying in the sun...next door to each other!  At one of the openings, I saw an old beat up car with tons of chickens inside, walking all over each other.  You can buy fabric, meat, vegetables, electronic appliances, childrens toys, alcohol...you name it, it's there.  It's visiual overstimulation.  At one point, we passed through the Muslim exchange.  Then, we walked through a section of the meat market.  The smell was......pungent.  One man tried to get me to buy a goat whose insides were gone and was simply an empty carcass.  Although tempting, I passed.  Maybe I should have gotten a hoof or tongue instead?


The second time I went to the market was much less of an ordeal.  I actually enjoyed walking around and seeing the different people, the sights, and the way of life they lived.  I was able to find 2 different kinds of fabric that I will take to the seamstress in Prampram to have somethnig made.  And, I actually knew where we were at one point  (emphasize one point and no others).  It's really an amazing place of goods exchange.

On a random side not, the food here has been great.  It's funny, though, when you order something thinking that it will be the same as in America...and it's anything but!

A meat pocket.  Can  you see the meat??




Well, today we have guests arriving to stay at the center, so I have to go help to get some things ready!


There is no snow in the forecast for Prampram...and I don't mind it one bit!